Written by: Heather Clemenceau
A few days ago, alleged pedophile, bigot, and misogynist Roy Moore rode his horse, Sassy, to the Alabama Senate polling station and got roasted extra crispy by the internets for his poor riding ability and silly Gunsmoke cosplay.
The “10 Commandments” judge loves traditions from the 1800s, including slavery and child brides, so it’s fitting that we present him with a set of commandments that he should adhere to when considering
torturing riding horses in future.
Roy Moore’s 10 Commandments for Riding Horses
- Thou shalt not sit like a lumpy sack of potatoes despite having a gaited
horse. When you can barely stay level on a TWH, that is a clear sign you should not be anywhere near a horse.
- Thou shalt not jerk and flail your arms about like you’re trying to pull-start a gas lawnmower. Curses on whoever set you up with a long shanked bit that isn’t even positioned correctly. I don’t like them but I will say that leverage bits belong in educated hands only. Period.
- Thou shalt not let the daylight show between your ass and the saddle
- Thou shalt not ride with such a heavy hand that you make your horses ewe-necked – both horses shown with Moore have prominently developed muscling on the underside of the neck. Both horses show how their physicality has changed with poor riding and hollowed out backs.
- Thou shalt not inflict one’s ignorance and poorly fitting tack on any animal. Always use a saddle pad under the saddle.
- Thou shall shorten thy reins and stirrups and get your legs under you.
- Thou shall take lessons if for no other reason than the sake of the poor horse. Moore doesn’t even ride as capably as someone at a trail ride who is riding for the first time, so he needs to give some thought into strapping on a helmet.
- Thou shalt not use horses as props and photo ops when your riding is so poor that you have no business being up there. Moore didn’t care that Sassy might have been spooked by photographers and as she was nervous, he had not the skill set to calm her and instead kicked and jerked on her sensitive mouth. His riding clearly showed that he does not care about the pain of any other creature.
- Thou shalt not dress as one of the Village People.
- And lastly, If you’re an accused pedo, thou shalt not name your horse after a now-defunct magazine aimed at teenage girls #Sassy.
Moore’s appearance at the voting station was not exactly my idea of a tableau of vintage America. Is anyone surprised that he has heavy hands? Both horses look uncomfortable with Moore touching them. And Moore riding a filly that can’t get away from him is so totally on-brand, isn’t it?
Everything about his riding demonstrates a lack of understanding about how one’s body impacts the horse – which appears to mirror his lack of understanding of how his actions impact the lives of others. His horses are merely objects fulfilling their purpose. As with both the law and religion, Moore appears incapable of considering anything beyond manipulating objects to his benefit. Roy Moore is no more qualified for the US Senate than he is to ride a horse.
Next time take the car pardner….